- Score: MIT 79, Wheaton College 49
- Records: MIT (10-3, 4-1 NEWMAC); Wheaton (6-7, 2-4 NEWMAC)
- Location: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The MIT women's basketball team knocked down an Institute-record 15 three-pointers in a 79-49 road victory over Wheaton College on Tuesday night. One of four players to reach double digits in scoring, sophomore Jocelyn Luizzi (Colchester, Conn.) paced the Engineers with 16 points in 22 minutes of action coming off the bench.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trailing 5-0, a trey by senior Dolly Yuan (San Jose, Calif.) ignited a 17-3 run which put MIT ahead for good midway through the first quarter.
- The Engineers entered the second stanza with a 30-16 lead and maintained a comfortable cushion as they held a 47-26 advantage at halftime.
- The third quarter was a balanced affair as MIT outscored the Lyons, 20-15. A put-back by senior Sophie Gershon (New York, N.Y.) right before time expired increased the visitors' lead to 67-41.
- The fourth quarter, meanwhile, was a defensive battle that saw both teams combine for 20 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Yuan finished with 14 points, five assists, and four steals while first-year Christina Antonakakis (Holmdel, N.J.) tallied 12 points, a game-high six assists, and two steals. Senior Kara Holinski (Livonia, Mich.) posted 12 points as classmate Taylor V'Dovec (Blaine, Wash.) registered nine points and seven rebounds. Gershon rounded out the squad with a game-high eight rebounds.
- The Engineers recorded advantages in field-goal percentage (50.9 – 35.8), rebounds (37-27), points off turnovers (28-11), second-chance points (8-4), and bench scoring (32-15). Wheaton ended the night with a slight edge in points in the paint (20-18).
- MIT's 15 made three-point field goals eclipsed the mark of 13 that was set against Bates College on Dec. 29, 2016 and then tied on Jan. 12, 2017 at Wheaton.
- MIT returns to Rockwell Cage for its first home game of the new year when it hosts NEWMAC foe Emerson College on Thursday, Jan. 10 at 7:00 p.m.