- Score: MIT 57, WPI 46
- Records: MIT (14-5, 8-3 NEWMAC); WPI (7-11, 2-8 NEWMAC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Auditorium)
- The Lead: MIT outscored WPI, 21-11, in the third quarter on its way to a 57-46 win in a NEWMAC women's basketball game on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Jocelyn Luizzi (Colchester, Conn.) produced a team-high 11 points and six rebounds to go along with two assists and a steal while coming off the bench for MIT.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both sides struggled to find their rhythm on the offensive end as MIT built a 28-14 advantage at the end of two quarters.
- After an exchange of jump shots and three-pointers, a layup by sophomore Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) ignited an 11-0 run that created a 44-19 lead with 3:14 left in the third quarter. WPI put together a 6-2 spurt, however, Luizzi's three-point play moved the score to 49-25 right before time expired.
- Two free throws by senior Dolly Yuan (San Jose, Calif.) 35 seconds into the final frame gave MIT its largest advantage of the day at 26 points (51-25). WPI chipped away at the deficit, outscoring MIT, 21-6, during the final nine minutes of play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT shot 41.2 percent (21-of-51) from the floor, 7-of-14 from three-point range, and 8-of-15 from the charity stripe.
- WPI had a 40.4 shooting percentage (19-of-47), including a 6-of-16 performance from behind the arc, while also converting both of its free-throw attempts.
- MIT finished with advantages in rebounds (35-26), points off turnovers (22-8), second-chance points (4-2), points in the paint (22-20), and bench scoring (27-16).
- MIT concludes its four-game road trip with a visit to Wesleyan University for a non-conference match-up on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 7:00 p.m.