- Score: MIT 63, Mount Holyoke College 33
- Records: MIT (15-6, 9-3 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (1-20, 0-12 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: MIT opened the game with 19 unanswered points and never looked back as it went on to defeat Mount Holyoke College, 63-33, in NEWMAC women's basketball action on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) led all players with 15 points and grabbed six rebounds for the Engineers in 12 minutes of play while Kaitlyn Grover paced the Lyons with 12 points and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Entering the second quarter trailing 19-0, a jumper by Grover sparked an 11-4 run for Mount Holyoke, narrowing the gap to 23-11 with 4:45 on the clock. MIT countered with a 12-0 burst, finishing the frame with a 35-11 advantage.
- The Engineers carried the momentum into the third quarter as it outscored the Lyons, 16-5.
- Mount Holyoke opened the final frame with an 11-5 run, making the score 56-27 with just under five minutes remaining. Grover accounted for seven points during the Lyons' rally, helping them outscore MIT, 17-12, in the quarter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Jocelyn Luizzi (Colchester, Conn.) posted nine points and five rebounds as senior Taylor V'Dovec (Blaine, Wash.) tallied six points, four rebounds, three steals, and two assists for the Engineers. Senior Kara Holinski (Livonia, Mich.) recorded seven points, three assists, and two steals while junior Cindy Si (San Antonio, Texas) hauled in a team-high eight rebounds.
- Annika Brooks collected a game-high 13 rebounds to go along nine points and two steals. Leah Hodges chipped in six points as Raquel Fitzpatrick dished out three assists.
- The Engineers ended the day with advantages in rebounds (44-35), points in the paint (34-14), points off turnovers (24-5), second-chance points (15-0), and bench scoring (34-6).
- Both teams face NEWMAC opponents on the road on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7:00 p.m. MIT will travel to Wellesley College while Mount Holyoke will visit Smith College.