- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Charles River)
- The Lead: At the 2017 Head of the Charles, the MIT lightweight varsity 8 "A" boat posted a program-best time on Sunday afternoon to lead the Engineers over the two-day event on the Charles River.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the Collegiate Pairs race on Saturday, the duo of freshman Grace Gardner (Saint Paul, Minn.) and freshman Sophie Anderson (Seattle, Wash.) finished 12th out of 18 entries in a time of 20:25.837. The pair was also the fourth overall collegiate finisher.
- In the lightweight fours, the MIT "A" boat finished seventh out of 11 in a time of 18:47.789 as four of the five rowers were participating in their first Head of the Charles. The MIT "B" entry crossed in 10th place in a time of 19:43.1, with that boat featuring four freshmen and one senior.
- In the final race of the weekend for MIT, the lightweight eight "A" boat finished in sixth with a program-best time of 16:20.241. This marked the third Head of the Charles race together for seniors Elizabeth Martin (Lexington, Mass.), Annika Rollock (Lafayette, N.J.) and Sylvia Sarnik (Harvard, Mass.). In the "B" boat, the team finished in eighth place in a time of 20:10.289 as that boat had all first-time participants in the Head of the Charles except for coxswain Andrea Lo (Los Angeles, Calif.).
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, November 5th as the Engineers travel to Hanover, N.H. for the Dartmouth Green Monster. That race will include the novice boat only.