- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Charles River)
- The Lead: In the season-opening regatta for the MIT women's lightweight crew team, the Varsity 8 boat led the Engineers with a sixth-place showing at the Head of the Charles on Sunday afternoon. The sixth-place performance over the three-mile course was identical to the boat's finish in the 2017 HOCR.
A LOOK INSIDE THE RACES:
- In the lightweight eight's competition, the Engineers crossed in a time of 19:20.902 as today's races took place in extremely windy conditions. The V8 was tied with Radcliffe in 4:26.3 when the teams passed Riverside Boat Club before losing ground between Weld and the Cambridge Boat Club. MIT made a charge over the 1,000 meters though to finish just eight seconds behind Radcliffe.
- In the Varsity 4 event, MIT's entry finished in 12th out of 16 boats as the Engineers crossed in a time of 22:16.46 to defeat the University of Florida, Argonaut (Canada), the Princeton "B" boat and Marquette University.
HEAD COACH CLAIRE MARTIN-DOYLE ON THE HEAD OF THE CHARLES:
- "Both of our crews rowed with grit through the tough conditions today - and our coxswains, Chloe Thacker `19 and Jennifer Nwenyi `20 executed their steering and managing of the race with first-class skill."
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, November 10th as the Engineers compete in the Foot of the Charles in Boston, Mass.