- Location: Camden County, N.J. (Cooper River)
- The Lead: At the Cherry Hill Invitational, the MIT openweight crew team earned a berth in the Grand Final for the Varsity 8 and the Petite Final for the Second Varsity 8 in a regatta that took place on the Cooper River.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the Varsity 8 competition, the Engineers had a solid heat and edged out Marist by .58 seconds to qualify for the Grand Final. MIT crossed in 6:53.06, while Southern Methodist captured the heat with a time of 6:48.72. In the Grand Final, the Engineers placed sixth in a time of 7:00.53, finishing 4.10 seconds back of Jacksonville for fifth.
- The Second Varsity 8 boat finished its heat in fifth place in 7:43.09, which was 21 seconds behind Georgetown and earned the Engineers a spot in the Petite Final. In that race, the Engineers avenged the previous setback to the Hoyas and finished third in 7:25.06 to cross 2.49 seconds in front of Georgetown. The Engineers also defeated Holy Cross as the Hoyas and the Crusaders are both Patriot League rivals. The team will continue its training as the Engineers build towards the upcoming championship weekends.
- The Engineers travel to Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass. on Sunday, April 29th as the team competes in the EAWRC Sprints.