Women's Fencing Closes at Northeast Regional

Women's Fencing Closes at Northeast Regional

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The MIT women’s fencing team ended its season on Sunday at the NCAA Northeast Regional Fencing Championships hosted by Brown University. Despite their efforts, none of the eight competing Engineers were able to post scores high enough to advance to the national tournament.

Senior Cordelia Link paced the Cardinal and Gray with her 14th-place finish in foil. Junior Jenna Caldwell, also competing in foil, had a solid performance and ended 20th.

In epee, Sophie Monahan (24th) led the Engineers, while Kirsten Hessler (31st) and senior Stephanie Shin (38th) struggled against their tough preliminary competition. At sabre, sophomore Molly Kozminsky (25th) had MIT’s best finish, and Elena Tatarchenko (36th) and AnnaBeth Gellman (41st) rounded out Tech’s competitors.

A fencer’s performance during the regular season comprises 40% of her national-qualifying score. The other 60% is based on her finish at the regional tournament. Eight fencers in each weapon are guaranteed to advance to the national tournament, while other high-scoring competitors are eligible for at-large consideration.

MIT’s 14-11 record (8-4 Northeast Fencing Conference) pales in comparison to last year’s stellar campaign (17-8, 11-1) but still reflects a successful year for the Engineers and extends a decade-long streak of winning NFC records. In addition to Link and Shin, MIT will also lose seniors Laura Evans and Lindley Graham for the 2010-11 year.