MIT Falls to Babson, 3-2, In Overtime

MIT Falls to Babson, 3-2, In Overtime

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Jess Paladino found Sarah Fredlund for the game-winning goal just over 10 minutes into overtime as Babson downed the MIT field hockey team, 3-2, in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Tuesday night. The loss was the first for the Engineers in seven tries at Jack Barry Field this year and drops their overall record to 9-3 (1-2 NEWMAC). Babson improves to 7-3 overall and 2-1 in NEWMAC play.

MIT jumped out to an early lead, as Kameron Klauber gathered a bouncing rebound in front of the Babson cage and pushed it home for her third tally of the season. Babson had a couple of opportunities to even things up late in the half but was denied twice by the Tech defense. With just over nine minutes to go, the Beavers converted an MIT turnover into a breakaway but Keri Dixon made a spectacular diving stop on Jess Paladino's shot to preserve the shutout. Later in the period, off a Babson penalty corner, Anna Teruya made her second defensive save in as many games to send the Cardinal and Grey into the break up one.

Jessica Oleinik nearly doubled the lead early in the second but her shot rang off the right post. Moments later, Kelly Walsh began a flurry of offense, as the teams would exchange three back and forth goals in the next seven minutes. The Engineers regained the advantage three minutes later on Molly McShane's shot from the top of the circle following a penalty corner. The lead would not hold up long, however, as Paladino evened things up with just over 12 minutes to go. MIT had a few chances to win in regulation but Babson goalkeeper Jessica Pashos made three of her 14 saves in the final nine minutes to send the teams into the extra session.

The Cardinal and Grey controlled the ball early in the overtime and nearly had the game winner as Klauber fed the ball across the circle to Oleinik, who was all alone. However, Pashos came charging out of the net to smother the shot attempt. Fredlund's game winner would come almost eight minutes later and the Beavers escaped with the win.

MIT outshot Babson, 24-13, for the game and held a 7-6 advantage in corners. Dixon stopped four shots in the losing effort while Pashos racked up 14 saves, including three in the crucial overtime period.

The Engineers will look to rebound on Saturday, October 10 when they host Wellesley for a 1:00 p.m. game. Babson will take on Amherst on Thursday at home, beginning at 7:00 p.m.