McShane, Teruya Lift MIT to Dramatic, 2-1 Win over Mount Holyoke in NEWMAC Championship

McShane, Teruya Lift MIT to Dramatic, 2-1 Win over Mount Holyoke in NEWMAC Championship

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Molly McShane (Lake Bluff, Ill.) netted the equalizer with just 81 seconds remaining in regulation and Anna Teruya's (Hockessin, Del.) blast in overtime propelled MIT to its second New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) championship in three years, with a 2-1 win over Mount Holyoke College on Sunday afternoon. Teruya was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player, thanks in large part to her game-winner, as well as her tremendous defensive play throughout the tournament. The win sends MIT (17-3) into the NCAA Division III tournament for the second time in program history while Mount Holyoke (13-5) will need to await tomorrow's selections to see if they qualified for an at-large bid into the postseason.

Trailing 1-0 with under two minutes to play, the Engineers earned one of their 11 penalty corners on the afternoon. After receiving the ball on the insertion, Teruya found McShane, who made a terrific dodge to create space, before firing a backhanded shot past Mount Holyoke goalkeeper, Katie Gibson (Charlotte, N.C.), to tie the game at one. Tech earned another penalty corner late but was unable to convert, sending the game into the extra session.

In overtime, it was another penalty corner that set up Teruya's heroics, after a near-miss by MIT. Molly Duffy (New Providence, N.J.) hit the post with her initial shot but Tech was given a second opportunity on the corner. Duffy sent the ball in to Teruya, who was waiting at the top of the circle, and the senior captain fired a shot into the back of the cage to clinch the conference title for the Engineers.

Mount Holyoke was just over a minute away from winning its first NEWMAC crown since 2003, thanks to Aurora Rougeau's (Florida, Mass.) first career goal early in the second half. The first-year midfielder sent a slow, bouncing ball that slipped past MIT goalie, Jenna Klein (Parma, Ohio) and into the net for the 1-0 lead for the Lyons.

Both defenses yielded little scoring opportunities to their opponents, a different story from Saturday's semifinal contests when MIT and Mount Holyoke combined for 15 goals in a pair of wins. Gibson made five saves for the Lyons while Klein earned the win in net for the Cardinal and Gray, stopping one shot during the second half and overtime periods.

Shara Robertson (Kwazulu Natal, South Africa) had one of the best scoring chances of the first half, as Mount Holyoke's dynamic forward positioned herself on the far post following a corner and tipped a shot from the top of the circle but the ball deflected off the post and MIT was able to preserve the scoreless tie.

MIT will await its postseason fate to be announced by the NCAA on Sunday night. In 2009, the Engineers defeated Nichols College, 2-1, in the first round before falling to Tufts University.