MIT Field Hockey Fights off Endicott, 5-3

Sophomore Caitlin Mackey
Sophomore Caitlin Mackey

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A flurry of activity in the second half produced a total of seven goals as MIT held off a late rally in a 5-3 victory over Endicott College in a non-conference field hockey game on Thursday night. Senior Molly McShane (Lake Bluff, Ill.) led the way with one goal and three assists for the Engineers, who improved to 8-2 on the year. Sophomore Alyssa Clark (Gorham, Maine) paced the Gulls (6-3) with a goal and an assist.

MIT provided the only goal of the first half which occurred after 2:23 elapsed. Junior Maddy Wharton (Swarthmore, Pa.) initiated the charge with a long pass downfield which was corralled by McShane along the far side. She drew senior goalie Taylor Teixeira (Exeter, N.H.) off her line and found sophomore Caitlin Mackey (San Diego, Calif.) who put it into the cage. The majority of the frame was played in the midfield, although the Engineers recorded an 11-3 advantage in shots and a 6-5 edge in penalty corners.

The Mackey-McShane connection returned 45 seconds into the second stanza as a quick restart by freshman Laila Shehata (Bethesda, Md.) just outside the arc led to the goal. Four minutes later on a penalty corner, Wharton unleashed a shot that was stopped by Teixeira; however, the rebound made its way to Mackey who found McShane for the marker. MIT almost registered its fourth goal of the night when sophomore Elizabeth Dethy (Morristown, N.J.) sent a shot to a seemingly open net at the near post but Teixeira kicked the ball away at the last moment.

The Engineers continued to attack, registering four shots on net as Teixeira turned away three attempts and junior Robin Hunt (Hampton, N.H.) earned a defensive save, but it was Endicott that found the back of the net in the 54th minute. On the Gulls' third penalty corner of the half, Clark set up junior Stacie Teevens (Westborough, Mass.) to end the shutout. Minutes later MIT received a green card which resulted in a player advantage and timeout by the visitors. Following the break, Clark buried a feed from sophomore Meghan Leary (Hampton Falls, N.H.) to narrow the gap to 3-2 with 14 minutes left to play.

The Cardinal and Gray responded with Barker redirecting a pass from Dethy at the near post three minutes later. The effort was matched by Endicott in the 61st minute on an unassisted tally by sophomore Kathryn Walker (Middlebury, Conn.) following a penalty corner. The Gulls maintained the pressure as senior Taylor Matties (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) put a dangerous shot on net that was kicked away by freshman goalie Evie Kyritsis (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) and then cleared out by Wharton with 7:28 remaining. Endicott earned a penalty corner in the 66th minute and almost registered the equalizer on a strike by Matties a minute later but it was off the mark.

MIT countered with pressure of its own during the final minute of action. Dethy put two shots on net but the first was stopped by Teixeira and the second resulted in a defensive save for senior Cassie DeSimone (Reading, Mass.). The Engineers received a penalty corner with 30 seconds to go and converted with 10 ticks left on a tip by junior Molly Duffy (New Providence, N.J.) that was set up by McShane.

In net, sophomore Jenna Klein (Parma, Ohio) totaled four saves in 61 minutes of action as Kyritsis closed out the game with one save. Teixeira finished the night with 10 saves for the Gulls.

Both squads resume league play on Saturday, Sept. 29. MIT will host NEWMAC rival WPI while Endicott does battle with the University of New England in a home TCCC tilt.