MIT Overpowers Smith, 10-1, on Senior Recognition Day

Seniors Molly McShane, Kimberly Barker, and Michelle Dion
Seniors Molly McShane, Kimberly Barker, and Michelle Dion

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – MIT scored seven goals in the first 15 minutes of play en route to a 10-1 victory over Smith College in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) field hockey game on Saturday afternoon. Senior Molly McShane (Lake Bluff, Ill.) led the way with two goals and two assists for the Engineers (15-2, 7-1 NEWMAC) who broke the Institute record for consecutive wins which now stands at 10. Junior Allie Stein (Ann Arbor, Mich.) provided the lone marker for the Pioneers (7-11, 2-6 NEWMAC) with just over eight minutes left to play.

Senior Kimberly Barker (Camden, N.Y.) and freshman Morgan Gulliver (Stamford, Conn.) posted a pair of goals while juniors Michelle Teplensky (Somers, N.Y.) and Molly Duffy (New Providence, N.J.) both registered a goal and an assist. Duffy's scoring performance increased her career point tally to 101, making her the fifth player in program history to eclipse the 100-point mark. Senior Michelle Dion (Lunenberg, Mass.) and sophomore Sarah Fay (South Hadley, Mass.) rounded out the scoring as junior Maddy Wharton (Swarthmore, Pa.) and sophomore Caitlin Mackey (San Diego, Calif.) both earned an assist. In net for MIT, sophomore Jenna Klein (Parma, Ohio) produced two saves in a scoreless first half while freshman Evie Kyritsis (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) closed out the game with six stops.

Freshman Casey Rau (Pottstown, Pa.) set up Smith's goal while classmates Nora Demick (Watertown, Mass.) and Maddi Wyda (Baltimore, Md.) split time in the cage. Demick compiled 12 saves in the first half as Wyda turned away two shots in the final 35 minutes.

The Pioneers opened the game with a deep run but they could not convert. Moments later, McShane picked the ball up at midfield and threaded it through a defender's legs. She then drew Demick out of the cage and quickly found Barker at the far post for the score. Smith was awarded a pair of penalty corners during the next two minutes but MIT's defense thwarted both attempts. In the fifth minute, the Engineers capitalized on a Pioneers' turnover which Mackey corralled at the top of the arc and then sent it to Duffy who was waiting at the near post.

McShane increased the Cardinal and Gray's margin to 3-0 five minutes later courtesy of a solo effort she knocked in between Demick's legs. On MIT's first penalty corner of the day in the 12th minute, Wharton sent a quick strike from the top of the circle towards the goal which was deflected by a stick but went right to Gulliver who redirected it for the goal.

A penalty corner two minutes later led to the Engineers' fifth goal of the day. After Wharton's initial shot was blocked, McShane gathered the loose ball and took a shot that was stopped by Demick but she immediately buried the rebound. In the next 44 seconds, Demick turned away a shot from Teplensky, however, Gulliver was in position to record her second goal of the game. Following a Smith timeout, the Barker-McShane connection returned while Duffy found Dion for the first goal of her career in the 18th minute to increase the advantage to 8-0.

Midway through the half, Stein found herself in a one-on-one situation with Klein but a whistle against the Pioneers ended the play. The visitors began to build some momentum during the final 10 minutes of the half. Sophomore Sara Mercier (Portland, Maine) was in position to test Klein but she lost control of the ball at the last moment. Later on, Mercier sent a dangerous cross through the circle; however, Smith could not get a stick on it. With five minutes to go, junior Meg Richardson (Kents Hill, Maine) managed to get a shot through a crowd which Klein kicked away. Mercier followed with a shot that resulted in Klein making a diving save at the far post.

The majority of the second stanza was a back-and-forth affair as the Pioneers held a 6-4 edge in shots. Just over six minutes into the frame, Smith was awarded a penalty stroke but senior Sophie Demuynck's (Mt. Holly, N.J.) shot was just wide. The scoreless play ended in the 56th minute when Teplensky sent a pass from the far side into the middle of the circle where Fay redirected it for the goal. Stein then thwarted MIT's shutout bid with 8:35 remaining as she connected on Rau's pass from the far side and tapped it into the far post. Teplensky wrapped up the scoring by knocking in the rebound of McShane's shot in the 68th minute.

MIT will continue its season on Saturday, Nov. 3 as the No. 2 seed in the NEWMAC Championship Tournament to be hosted at Babson College. Smith, meanwhile, found itself in a tie with WPI and Mount Holyoke College for the final spot but tiebreakers eliminated it from postseason play.