Engineers Top Clark, 4-0, in Field Hockey

Freshman Jane Coffrin
Freshman Jane Coffrin

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Three first-half goals powered No. 18 MIT past Clark University, 4-0, in a NEWMAC field hockey game on Saturday afternoon. Senior Michelle Teplensky (Somers, N.Y.) paced the Engineers (11-1, 4-0 NEWMAC) with two goals as the Cougars saw their record dip to 7-6 on the year and 0-4 in conference play.

MIT controlled the action immediately following the opening whistle, getting on the scoreboard after 4:27 expired on a penalty stroke by junior Elizabeth Dethy (Morristown, N.J.). The Engineers kept the pressure on but the Cougars brought everyone back to make the arc impenetrable. The visitors broke up the midfield battle when senior Talia Fish (Philadelphia, Pa.) made a deep run along the far side while freshman Isabelle Zoeckler (Madison, Conn.) was with her in stride. At the last moment, senior Maddy Wharton (Swarthmore, Pa.) poked the ball away to end the threat.

MIT created some breathing room following its seventh penalty corner of the frame in the 25th minute. After senior Molly Duffy (New Providence, N.J.) put the ball in play, a scramble ensued which saw freshman Jane Coffrin (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) set up Teplensky for the goal. Clark nearly cut its deficit in half two minutes later on its own penalty corner but junior Kiah Murphy's (Westport, Mass.) bid was blocked by the Engineers' defense. MIT responded with freshman Tate DeWeese (Towson, Md.) scoring the final goal of the half with 6:18 on the clock. After initiating a penalty corner, DeWeese ended up with the ball and put a shot on net that was stopped by sophomore goalie Christine Tinsman (Prairie Village, Kan.) but DeWeese corralled the rebound and quickly tapped it in for her first intercollegiate marker.

The Cardinal and Gray picked up right from where it left off as it increased its margin to 4-0 early in the second stanza. MIT peppered Tinsman with a trio of shots before Duffy gathered the rebound of her previous attempt and sent it to Teplensky for what proved to be the Engineers' final goal of the game in the 42nd minute.

Clark had several opportunities to end the shutout but it just couldn't break through. Four minutes into the half, junior Kelly Hart (Oak Park, Ill.) hit a long pass that made its way through MIT's defense and was pursued by senior Erin O'Neil (Willington, Conn.); however, she was unable to corral the ball in the arc where she would have faced a 1-on-2 situation. Later on, the Cougars generated three straight penalty corners but the Engineers disrupted their attempts.

In net, sophomores Evie Kyritsis (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) and Paige Kennedy (Eastchester, N.Y.) collaborated for the shutout without make a save while Tinsman finished the game with 11 saves for Clark.

Both squads take on non-conference opponents next week. MIT will visit the University of New England on Wednesday, Oct. 16 while Clark will host Worcester State University the day before.