- Score: MIT 2, Mount Holyoke College 0
- Records: MIT (11-3; 6-1 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (9-6, 4-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: South Hadley, Mass. (Mount Holyoke College Turf and Track Complex)
- The Lead: Aided by a goal in each half, the MIT field hockey team posted a 2-0 victory over Mount Holyoke College in NEWMAC action on Saturday. Junior Emily Penn (Columbia, Md.) was the source of the Engineers' offense as she recorded a goal and an assist.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT had a slight edge in shots (9-8) and shots on goal (8-4) while Mount Holyoke held an 8-7 advantage in penalty corners.
- Freshman goalie Kate Brewer (Louisville, Ky.) earned the shutout after making four saves while Liz DiCesare turned away six shots for the Lyons.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT opened the game's scoring at the 23:47 mark as sophomore Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) tipped in a shot at the right post. Navigating into the circle, Penn battled through a pair of defenders. She sent a shot through traffic as the goalie came forward for Tregoning on the right side.
- The Lyons tried to nab the equalizer at 29:09 when Colby Newsham sent in a shot from the top of the circle, but Brewer deflected it out of danger to keep the Engineers up 1-0.
- The Cardinal and Gray extended its lead to 2-0 in the 58th minute courtesy of Penn's successful penalty stroke.
- Mount Holyoke, which held a 5-3 edge in penalty corners for the second half, had several solid looks over the final 13 minutes, but MIT's defense held strong. The Lyons saw their best chances of the frame come over a three-minute span.
- Mirjam Keochakian got the flurry started with a shot from the right side, which Brewer made an easy kick save. Following a penalty corner less than 30 seconds later, Charlotte Wagner and Newsham were both able to fire in shots, which were turned aside by the MIT keeper.
- MIT closes out the regular season with a trip to NEWMAC rival Babson College on Saturday, Oct. 29.
Release courtesy of Mount Holyoke College