- Score: No. 10 Babson College 3, MIT 0
- Records: MIT (11-4; 6-2 NEWMAC); Babson (17-2, 8-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (MacDowell Field)
- The Lead: A pair of goals 34 seconds apart midway through the first half helped power nationally-ranked No. 10 Babson College to a 3-0 victory over MIT in NEWMAC field hockey action on Saturday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Babson finished with large margins in shots (15-4) and shots on goal (7-2) but only had a 7-5 edge in penalty corners.
- Elise Towers and Catherine Gilman both recorded a goal and an assist while Staci Swallow accounted for the hosts' third tally.
- Freshman goalie Kate Brewer (Louisville, Ky.) made three of her four saves in the second half for the Engineers while Deirdre Barry turned away two shots for the Beavers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Barry made consecutive saves on MIT juniors Amanda Lowery (Encinitas, Calif.) and Emily Penn (Columbia, Md.) just under eight minutes into the match. However, Babson took control of the game with two goals in the span of 34 seconds a little more than midway through the half. Gilman took a centering feed from Victoria Spofford, spun and drilled a shot inside the left post at the 21:33 mark, and then set up Towers' league-leading 18th goal less than a minute later to make it 2-0.
- The Beavers just missed on a number of opportunities to extend their advantage early in the second half. Swallow had her shot from the center of the circle kicked away by Brewer just over three minutes after the break, and both Towers and Ashley Tango sent shots just wide following penalty corners.
- Babson held the Engineers without a shot on four penalty corners over the final 13 minutes and tacked on an insurance goal with 6:49 left when Swallow redirected a crossing pass by Towers.
- MIT captured the No. 3 seed for the upcoming NEWMAC Tournament and will host No. 6 seeded Springfield College in the quarterfinals on Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 6:00 p.m.
Release courtesy of Babson College