- Score: MIT 4, Springfield College 2
- Records: MIT (12-4); Springfield (9-10)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: A hat trick by junior Emily Penn (Columbia, Md.) propelled No. 3 seeded MIT to a 4-2 victory over No. 6 Springfield College in the quarterfinals of the NEWMAC field hockey tournament on Tuesday night. With the win, the Engineers secured a spot in the semifinals for the seventh time in eight seasons.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT recorded a 19-11 advantage in shots, with a 14-7 margin for shots on goal. As for penalty corners, the Engineers held a 4-3 edge at halftime but ended the night with a 12-5 advantage.
- Freshman Rayna Higuchi (Solana Beach, Calif.) rounded out the scoring for the Engineers while Maggie Kennedy provided both of Springfield's goals.
- Freshman goalie Kate Brewer (Louisville, Ky.) generated five saves for MIT, including a pair of back-to-back stops within the first five minutes of play. On the other end of the field, Emmalie Drake racked up 10 saves for the Pride.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After Springfield's opening surge, the game became a back-and-forth affair with several transition opportunities for both sides. MIT eventually broke through in the 28th minute when Penn gathered the ball on the far side and blasted it to the near post for her 50th career tally.
- The Engineers increased their cushion in the 45th minute following a penalty corner. Freshman Taylor Grey's (Horsham, Pa.) initial shot at the near post was stopped by Drake but Gray corralled the rebound and knocked it across the goal mouth where it was redirected by Higuchi.
- MIT then went up 3-0 almost six minutes later courtesy of a penalty stroke by Penn. Shortly after action resumed, Kennedy ended the shutout with a solo effort from the middle of the arc.
- The scoring spree continued with 11:46 remaining as Penn completed the hat trick with a strike from the far side of the arc. However, Kennedy responded exactly 1:39 later. With her back to the net, she spun towards the near side where her shot bounced into the lower corner of the cage.
- MIT will take on No. 2 Smith College in the semifinals on Saturday, Nov. 5 at 2:00 p.m. at Babson College. During the regular season the Pioneers edged the Engineers, 1-0.