- Score: No. 14 MIT 1, Smith College 0
- Records: MIT (8-2, 2-1 NEWMAC); Smith (4-5, 2-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Turf Field)
- The Lead: A goal by junior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) in the 45th minute was all nationally-ranked No. 14 MIT needed as it defeated Smith College, 1-0, in NEWMAC field hockey action on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams played to a 0-0 first half with Smith holding a 3-0 advantage on penalty corners and a 7-5 edge in shots.
- The Pioneers opened the second stanza with four shots on goal and a corner within the first five minutes of play.
- The Engineers would then get their chance as Tregoning netted the game-winner and her seventh goal of the season with exactly 25 minutes left to play. A cross from sophomore Taylor Grey (Horsham, Pa.) got through the legs of the Smith goalkeeper and multiple Smith defenders until Tregoning controlled the ball and pounded it to the back of the cage.
- MIT nearly went up 2-0 just over 10 minutes later but a defensive save from Sammie Pavlov preserved the 1-0 score.
- The Pioneers continued to pressure the Engineers in the final minute of the game but the MIT defense withstood any last effort to hold on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith outshot the Engineers, 16-13, and held a 7-6 advantage in penalty corners.
- Freshman goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) collected saves for MIT as did Cameo Tietje for the Pioneers.
- MIT continues conference play on the road on Tuesday, Oct. 3 when it visits Wheaton College for a 7:00 p.m. start.
Courtesy of Smith College