- Score: No. 15 MIT 6, WPI 2
- Records: MIT (11-2, 4-1 NEWMAC); WPI (8-3, 4-2 NEWMAC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Stadium)
- The Lead: Powered by senior Emily Penn's (Columbia, Md.) hat trick, the nationally-ranked No. 15 MIT field hockey team defeated WPI, 6-2, in NEWMAC action on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT freshman Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) dented the scoreboard just 1:29 into the game after she redirected a feed from sophomore Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) to the far post. Sophomore Rayna Higuchi (Solana Beach, Calif.) followed 2:08 later and then Penn notched her first goal after a penalty corner in the 11th minute.
- Abby O'Sullivan put WPI on the board with an unassisted marker at 18:25. The 3-1 margin would hold until the halftime break.
- Penn ended the scoring drought in the 45th minute when she knocked in the rebound of her previously saved shot. Just over three minutes later O'Sullivan once again brought the hosts within two (4-2).
- MIT struck again with 19:01 left to play as Penn connected on a pass from Higuchi. Junior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) capped the scoring in the 59th minute with a solo effort that went to the near post.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT amassed a 29-8 advantage in shots, including a 25-6 margin for shots on goal. MIT also finished with a 9-2 edge in penalty corners.
- Freshman Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made four saves for MIT. WPI's Karen Mushrall tallied 17 saves in 59 minutes of action as Emily Wilson turned away one shot down the stretch. Abby King produced a defensive save for the hosts early in the second half.
- MIT continues conference play when it hosts NEWMAC rival Wellesley College on Tuesday, Oct. 17 at 6:00 p.m.