- Score: No. 11 MIT 9, UMass Dartmouth 1
- Records: No. 11 MIT (1-0); UMass Dartmouth (0-1)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: A hat trick by junior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) along with multiple-point performances by senior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) and sophomore Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) powered the nationally-ranked No. 11 MIT field hockey team to a 9-1 victory over UMass Dartmouth in the season-opener for both squads on Friday night. The win marked the 10th consecutive season-opening and home-opening victory for the Engineers.
- 1st Minute (0:33) – MIT 1, UMass Dartmouth 0: Goetz redirected a near-side feed from Garofalo to the near post.
- 2nd Minute (1:10) – MIT 2, UMass Dartmouth 0: Tregoning redirected a near-side feed from sophomore Emma Majercak (Wayne, Pa.) to the near post.
- 17th Minute (16:57) – MIT 3, UMass Dartmouth 0: Tregoning tapped in the rebound of Majercak's saved shot.
- 18th Minute (17:18) – MIT 4, UMass Dartmouth 0: A fast break by Goetz led to a strike that came from the far side.
- 24th Minute (23:41) – MIT 5, UMass Dartmouth 0: Sophomore Jennah Haque's (Bethesda, Md.) shot from a narrow angle along the far side managed to get through the defense to the near post, resulting in the first goal of her career.
- 27th Minute (26:15) – MIT 5, UMass Dartmouth 1: Kylie Dias sent a pass from the far side that went across the arc where Mary Brown tipped it in.
- 30th Minute (29:53) – MIT 6, UMass Dartmouth 1: Goetz wove through the defense in the arc, completing the hat trick.
- 46th Minute (45:26) – MIT 7, UMass Dartmouth 1: Garofalo buried a shot after a penalty corner.
- 48th Minute (47:01) – MIT 8, UMass Dartmouth 1: Following a scramble in front of the goal, freshman Mia Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) knocked the ball in for her first intercollegiate goal.
- 55th Minute (54:09) – MIT 9, UMass Dartmouth 1: Tregoning sent a pass from the near side to Garofalo at the far post.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Garofalo and Tregoning both finished with two goals and an assist.
- MIT ended the night with advantages in shots (34-6), shots on goal (28-2), and penalty corners (11-1).
- In net for the Engineers, sophomore Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made one save in 48 minutes of action. Freshman Kiely Smiga-McManus (Etna, N.H.) did not face a shot during her 12 minutes on the field while classmate Juliana Strother (Mequon, Wis.) finished out the game without seeing a shot.
- For the Corsairs, Allison Burke collected 19 saves in 55 minutes. Katelyn Banalewicz closed out the game for the visitors.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, Sept. 1 at Simmons College at 6:00 p.m. UMass Dartmouth will be back on the field on Thursday, Sept. 6 when it hosts Roger Williams University at 7:00 p.m.