Score: No. 11 MIT 2, University of New England 1
Records: No. 11 MIT (4-0); University of New England (0-3)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
The Lead: Led by a pair of goals from junior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.), the No. 11 MIT field hockey team outlasted the University of New England in a 2-1 final on Saturday morning at Jack Barry Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers jumped on the board just 5:07 into the game as MIT had a penalty corner opportunity. After the ball was sent in, freshman Laura Chen (Califon, N.J.) sent a terrific crossing pass to Goetz, who knocked it home for her sixth goal of the year. The Nor'easters got the equalizer with just over five minutes left until halftime as Julia Steeves shot from the left side and across the goal into the right corner for her first goal of the season.
- The game winner came at the 43:53 mark as Goetz was one-on-one with UNE goalie Liz Sargent. Goetz beat Sargent for the game-winning score though as Sargent came out to try to cut down on the angle.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- UNE held a 10-8 advantage in penalty corners as the Nor'easters pressured the MIT defense throughout the game. UNE also held a slight advantage in total shots with a 15-13 edge, while both teams had six shots in the second period.
- Sophomore Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) was excellent in net with eight saves to earn her fourth win of the season, while Sargent made six saves in the defeat to drop to 0-3.
- MIT is back in action on Tuesday, September 11th as the Engineers host Endicott College for a non-conference matchup beginning at 6 p.m.