- Score: No. 4 Babson College 3, No. 13 MIT 0
- Records: No. 13 MIT (5-2, 0-1 NEWMAC); No. 4 Babson (5-1, 1-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: A pair of second-half goals by Tori Roche gave nationally-ranked No. 4 Babson College enough of a cushion as it went on to defeat No. 13 MIT in the NEWMAC field hockey opener for both teams on Saturday afternoon.
- 13th Minute (12:43) – Babson 1, MIT 0: Catherine Gilman knocked in the rebound of Lauren Curley's saved shot.
- 43rd Minute (42:01) – Babson 2, MIT 0: A pass from Ashley Tango on the far side of the arc made its way through traffic in front of the cage where Roche redirected it to the near post.
- 56th Minute (55:07) – Babson 3, MIT 0: Tango sent a line drive pass from just outside the top of the arc which was knocked in by Roche to the middle of the cage.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made eight saves for MIT.
- Kassidy Riley turned away three shots in the shutout while Maddy Paro, Mackenzie Larson, and Lauren Drakeley each generated a defensive save for Babson.
- The Beavers ended the day with advantages in shots (15-7), shots on goal (11-6), and penalty corners (7-3).
- Despite being down a player for nearly 20 minutes of game time due to either green or yellow cards, Babson did not allow a shot or penalty corner by the Engineers.
- MIT goes back on the road on Wednesday, Sept. 19 for a 6:30 p.m. non-conference game at No. 8 Tufts University. Babson, meanwhile, will host UMass Dartmouth on Monday, Sept. 17 at 6:00 p.m.