- Score: No. 16 Amherst College 3, No. 19 MIT 2
- Records: No. 19 MIT (6-4); No. 16 Amherst (4-2)
- Location: Amherst, Mass. (Gooding Field)
- The Lead: A trio of first-half goals were just enough for nationally-ranked No. 16 Amherst College as it held on to defeat No. 19 MIT, 3-2, in non-conference field hockey action on Tuesday night.
- 10th Minute (9:59) – Amherst 1, MIT 0: After Laura Schwartzman's shot was saved, she knocked down a defender's clearing attempt in the ensuing scrum and buried a shot inside the left post.
- 23rd Minute (22:21) – Amherst 2, MIT 0: Anna Agathis capitalized on sophomore goalie Grace Moore's (Boston, Mass.) miscue when attempting to kick a leading pass away and found then back of the cage.
- 27th Minute (26:47) – Amherst 3, MIT 0: Shannon Tierney intercepted a pass from 30 yards out, found Sage Geyer in the arc who dished the ball to Agathis on the right side for the score.
- 40th Minute (39:26) – Amherst 3, MIT 1: Streaking down the right sideline, sophomore Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) cut to the net and tucked a sweeping shot with a defender on her back just inside the near post.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moore made eight saves for the Engineers.
- Amherst had the upper hand in shots (19-6), shots on goal (11-4), and penalty corners (9-3).
- MIT returns to NEWMAC play on Saturday, Sept. 29 when it hosts Smith College at 1:00 p.m.