- Score: No. 19 MIT 3, Smith College 1
- Records: No. 19 MIT (7-4, 2-1 NEWMAC); Smith (5-4, 2-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: Two goals midway through the second half helped propel the nationally-ranked No. 19 MIT field hockey team to a 3-1 win over Smith College in NEWMAC action on Saturday. Junior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) generated two goals for the Engineers.
- 1st Minute (0:49) – MIT 1, Smith 0: Senior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) intercepted the ball at midfield and eventually sent a pass from the far side to Goetz. She then shot the ball between a defender and Smith goalie Channy Cornell for the score.
- 5th Minute (4:52) – MIT 1, Smith 1: Alex Larosee dodged a defender on the near side, dribbled the ball into the arc, and sent a shot to the far post.
- 55th Minute (54:50) – MIT 2, Smith 1: During a fast break, Tregoning received the ball on the near side of the field. She then passed it through the arc to freshman Mia Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) at the far post who scored what proved to be the game-winning goal.
- 58th Minute (57:15) – MIT 3, Smith 1: On a penalty corner, sophomore Emma Majercak (Wayne, Pa.) sent the ball to the top of the arc where Goetz fired it on goal for an insurance tally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made two saves for MIT while Cornell also turned away two shots for Smith.
- Beatrice Chaudoin bolstered the Pioneers' defense with a pair of defensive saves.
- Both teams generated 11 shots, however, the Engineers had a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal. MIT ended the day with a 13-7 edge in penalty corners.
- Both squads are back in action on Tuesday, Oct. 2. MIT will host NEWMAC foe Wheaton College at 6:00 p.m. while Smith will visit Simmons University at 7:00 p.m.