- Score: Wellesley College 2, MIT 1
- Records: MIT (8-6, 3-3 NEWMAC); Wellesley (5-9, 2-5 NEWMAC)
- Location: Wellesley, Mass. (Turf Field)
- The Lead: Wellesley College made four saves during the final 8:10 of regulation, including two inside the final 28 seconds to hold on for a 2-1 victory over MIT in NEWMAC field hockey action on Tuesday afternoon.
- 29th Minute (28:24) – Wellesley 1, MIT 0: Hannah Maisano carried the ball into the arc and put her point-blank shot on net.
- 43rd Minute (42:50) – Wellesley 1, MIT 1: After sophomore Amanda Garofalo's (Fairfield, N.J.) shot was saved, senior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) collected the loose ball and knocked in from the near post.
- 45th Minute (44:58) – Wellesley 2, MIT 1: Rachel Hwang tipped in a long pass from Caitlin Campbell.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wellesley goalie Maggie Connelly finished with eight saves. She stopped a shot by sophomore Delia Stephens (Austin, Texas) with 8:10 left to play and then Sarah Timmons came up with a defensive save following another attempt by Stephens. Connelly later denied the equalizer on a strike from junior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) with 28 seconds to go and then turned away Goetz's blast that came on a penalty corner as time expired.
- MIT had a 12-8 edge in shots, a 10-2 margin in shots on goal, and a 7-3 advantage in penalty corners.
- MIT continues its NEWMAC road trip on Saturday, Oct. 20 when it visits Clark University for a 2:00 p.m. game.