- Score: No. 3 Smith College 2, No. 5 MIT 1 (OT)
- Records: MIT (11-8); Smith (14-7)
- Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Turf Field)
- The Lead: No. 3 seeded Smith College tied the game late in regulation and then scored the game-winning goal 2:38 into overtime, helping it defeat No. 5 MIT, 2-1, in the championship of the NEWMAC Field Hockey Tournament on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- 28th Minute (27:24) – MIT 1, Smith 0: Junior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) dribbled the ball from the near sideline into the arc and lofted a shot to the top far corner over Smith goalie Channy Cornell.
- 69th Minute (68:43) – MIT 1, Smith 1: On a penalty corner, Sammie Pavlov redirected a pass from Beatrice Chaudoin to the far side of the cage.
- 70th Minute (69:22): Anna Ballou almost gave the Pioneers the lead but her shot hit off the front of the near post and rolled wide past the far post.
- 70th Minute (69:48): Sophomore Amanda Garofalo's (Fairfield, N.J.) rush to the net on the Engineers' counterattack drew Cornell off her line but she came up with save.
- 72nd Minute (71:49): On MIT's first penalty corner of the game, Cornell stopped Garofalo's shot in addition to sophomore Emma Majercak's (Wayne, Pa.) follow-up attempt.
- 73rd Minute (72:38) – Smith 2, MIT 1: In transition, Alex Larosee eluded a defender on the far side of the arc and angled a shot to the near post for the game-winning goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) collected 13 saves for the Engineers while Cornell made five stops for Smith.
- The Pioneers led the way in shots (19-6), shots on goal (15-6), and penalty corners (5-1).
- This was the third year in a row MIT advanced to the NEWMAC Championship. The Engineers captured the title in 2017.