- Score: Amherst College 2, MIT 1
- Records: MIT (4-4); Amherst (5-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: Two first-half goals by Franny Daniels helped Amherst College defeat MIT, 2-1, in a non-conference field hockey game on Wednesday night. First-year Liberty Ladd (Falmouth, Maine) broke up the shutout late in the third quarter with her first intercollegiate goal for the Engineers.
- 14th Minute (13:48) – Amherst 1, MIT 0: Caroline Donahue sent a long leading pass into the arc, which was corralled by Daniels who dodged junior goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.). She then sent a sweeping shot from the far side into the middle of the cage.
- 17th Minute (16:38) – Amherst 2, MIT 0: Daniels collected a loose ball in front of the goal and then made a diving shot towards the far post.
- 41st Minute (40:24) – Amherst 2, MIT 1: First-year Paige Forester (Glencoe, Ill.) sent a cross from the near side which was deflected in the arc but Ladd redirected the ball back to the near post.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moore made two saves for the Engineers while Emilie Flamme turned away three shots for the Mammoths.
- Both teams recorded four shots on goal as MIT ended the night with advantages in shots (10-6) and penalty corners (4-2).
- Both squads return to conference play on Saturday, Sept. 28. MIT will host NEWMAC rival Mount Holyoke College at 1:00 p.m. while Amherst will travel to No. 12 Williams College for an 11:00 a.m. NESCAC match up.