- Score: MIT 3, WPI 2
- Records: MIT (8-4, 4-1 NEWMAC); WPI (13-1, 3-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Stadium)
- The Lead: Two goals by junior Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.), including the game-winner late in the third quarter, propelled the MIT field hockey team to a 3-2 victory over NEWMAC foe WPI on Saturday. The Engineers handed WPI its first loss of the season as well as in conference play.
- 8th Minute (7:12) – MIT 1, WPI 0: Senior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) sent a blast from the top of the arc and into the cage.
- 13th Minute (12:59) – MIT 2, WPI 0: Garofalo collected the rebound of her saved shot and found the back of the net.
- 28th Minute (27:54) – MIT 2, WPI 1: On a penalty corner, Shannon Hynes sent a shot through traffic and past junior goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.).
- 34th Minute (33:18) – MIT 2, WPI 2: Bridget Sullivan pushed her own rebound just inside the right post.
- 42nd Minute (41:28) – MIT 3, WPI 2: With a player advantage, Garofalo corralled a long rebound and fired the ball in from the left side.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moore collected six saves in the victory.
- MIT had the upper hand in shots (12-11), shots on goal (9-8), and penalty corners (10-5).
- MIT returns to action on Tuesday, Oct. 22 when it hosts NEWMAC foe Wellesley College at 6:00 p.m.