Parzych Powers Wellesley To 3-2 win

Parzych Powers Wellesley To 3-2 win

Oct. 26, 2005

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Wellesley College (10-5, 5-2 NEWMAC) continued to roll on Wednesday night at Jack Barry Field, edging MIT (11-6, 3-5 NEWMAC) 3-2 in the Engineers last regular season contest. MIT never led and has now dropped four straight games after beginning the season 11-2. Junior Lydia Parzych led the way for The Blue, pumping in two goals, including the game-winner.

It was a battle between NEWMAC teams coming from different directions as MIT, winless in its prior three outings, hosted Wellesley, winner of its last two games. The Blue carried the momentum of back-to-back shutout victories into the contest and went up 1-0 less than three minutes into the game. Wellesley dominated the opening 15 minutes and recorded the first 10 shots of the game before the Engineers came alive.

After a flurry of action in front of the Wellesley net, MIT senior Cheryl Texin was awarded a penalty stroke at 20:07. The Blue's freshman goalkeeper Emily Hewitt, riding a streak of two straight shutout wins, stoned Texin to keep the Engineers off the scoreboard. Just over 10 minutes later, senior co-captain Deanna Lentz had a golden opportunity to tie the game for MIT on a penalty corner, but Hewitt again came up big, making a diving save. The Blue escaped the first half without relinquishing their one goal advantage.

Clinging to a one goal lead, The Blue bolted onto the field and sustained constant pressure for the first 10 minutes of the second frame. MIT sophomore keeper Alexa Herman was sharp in net and got a clutch defensive save from junior Sharon Prange at 44:01 to keep the Engineers within striking distance. Wellesley continued to threaten and the pressure finally paid off for The Blue when junior Julia Parzych fed her sister Lydia a pass in front of the net for an easy goal at 47:57. The goal was the eighth of the season for the junior forward.

With time winding down on MIT's regular season, the Engineers offense found its touch at 62:07. Senior Lauren Nowierski tipped a shot by Hewitt for her team leading ninth goal. The goal ended MIT's scoreless drought that had extended 258.05 of game time dating back to October 15. The celebration was short-lived for the Engineers, as The Blue bounced right back 21 seconds later on Lydia Parzych's second tally of the game and ninth of the year.

Senior Cheryl Texin made the game interesting at 64:34 when she put home a penalty corner pass from Nowierski and drew the Engineers within one, but a Wellesley timeout halted MIT's momentum. The Blue were able to control the ball in the remaining five minutes and hold on for the 3-2 victory.

Wellesley outshot MIT 24-14 in the contest and had a 14-7 shot advantage in the second half. The Blue's goalie Emily Hewitt made four stops in the victory, while Alexa Herman denied nine Wellesley attempts in the loss.

The game concluded the regular season for MIT. This Saturday, the Engineers will begin play in the NEWMAC Championship Tournament.