Women's Lacrosse Defeats Fredonia State, 13-8

Women's Lacrosse Defeats Fredonia State, 13-8

March 26, 2008

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's lacrosse team picked up its first win of the season following a 13-8 decision over SUNY Fredonia. Casey Flynn tallied two goals, three assists, and four draw controls as Laura Watson totaled four goals. Erica Little posted three points on two goals and an assist while Stephanie Brenman collected six groundballs and two caused turnovers. Monique Squiers notched nine saves in the first win of her intercollegiate career.

Watson recorded her first goal of the day after connecting on a feed from Flynn 6:50 into the contest. Kelly Duncan increased MIT's margin with a free-position shot three minutes later. The Blue Devils quickly cut their deficit in half, but the Engineers (1-3) responded with three straight goals for a 5-1 advantage. Flynn set up Watson for the first goal and then added a pair of strikes of her own, including a free-position shot.

Fredonia State found the back of the net at the 7:24 mark, which was followed by almost six minutes of scoreless play. Watson ended the drought when she connected on a pass from Little with 1:49 on the clock. Exactly 17 seconds later, Little tallied an unassisted goal to make the score 7-2. The Blue Devils wrapped up the first half scoring with 36 seconds remaining.

Fredonia State carried the momentum into the second stanza as it narrowed the gap to three (7-4) after 1:13 elapsed. This was a close as it would get as the Engineers rattled off three unanswered goals. Samantha O'Keefe's free-position shot started the spurt, which was followed with an unassisted strike by Edith Reshef. Just 21 seconds later, the Watson-Flynn connection returned to increase MIT's margin to 10-4.

Midway through the frame, the Blue Devils converted a free-position shot which was immediately answered with an unassisted blast by Little. Fredonia State countered with another free-position goal however O'Keefe and Stephanie Brenman registered back-to-back tallies to make the score 13-6 with 9:55 to go. The Blue Devils recorded their third consecutive free-position goal two minutes later and then capped the scoring with 52 seconds left to play.