Women's Soccer Rallies To Tie No. 25 Springfield, 1-1, In Double Overtime

Women's Soccer Rallies To Tie No. 25 Springfield, 1-1, In Double Overtime

Courtesy of Springfield College Sports Information


SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - October 3, 2009 - The Springfield College women's soccer team and MIT battled to a 1-1 double overtime tie on Saturday afternoon in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest.

Springfield, ranked 25th in the country in the latest NSCAA national rankings, now stands at 6-2-2, 1-0-1 in league play while MIT is 5-3-1, 1-0-1.

The opening 30 minutes of the game were played mainly in the midfield with the Engineers having a prime scoring chance three minutes into the game. Emily Kuo sent a shot towards the net, which Hanna MacDougall just got her fingertips on to push away. Andrea Park collected the rebound and fired a shot that went just to the right of the goal.

Springfield finally netted the first goal of the game with just over 13 minutes remaining in the opening half. After the Engineers were whistled for a foul in the box, Springfield was awarded a penalty kick. Courtney Price stepped up and calmly slotted home her shot into the bottom right corner of the net to put the hosts on top.

The Engineers tied the game up in the 59th minute off a Lauren Hernley free kick. Springfield was called for a foul just outside the box and Hernley lobbed her shot into the upper left corner of the net, just over the outstretched arms of MacDougall.

Neither team could muster a chance the rest of the regulation or the overtime sessions as the game ended in a draw. Despite being outshot 6-2 in the first 45 minutes, Springfield went on to outshoot the visitors 13-5 the rest of the way.

MacDougall finished with five saves for Springfield, while Meghan Wright totaled six saves for the Engineers.

Springfield returns to the field for another conference game on Tuesday, October 6, when it hosts Clark at 7 p.m. MIT's next match is on the road Tuesday at Babson College.