Engineers Defeat Wellesley, 2-1, in Double Overtime

Senior Samantha Fleischmann
Senior Samantha Fleischmann

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – After going into double overtime following a tied game of 1-1 at the end of the second half, MIT women's soccer defeated NEWMAC foe Wellesley, 2-1, in the 102nd minute of play. Junior Samantha Fleischmann (Eastchester, N.Y.) scored the game-winning goal from a corner kick. After this win, the class of 2013 has had more victories than any other senior class in program history. The Engineers are now 8-2-1 for the season and are undefeated in NEWMAC play, while Wellesley fell to 5-5-1.

In the first half, the Blue outshot MIT, 6-5, three of which needed to be saved by goalkeeper Claire Cerda, while only one was saved by senior goalie Meghan Wright (Devon, Pa.) The period ended with a tied score of 0-0.

The second period started off well, with three saves by Wright in the first 12 minutes. In the 59th minute, following a corner kick from Fleischmann, senior Emily Kuo (Chicago, Ill.) scored her tenth goal of the season when she shot the ball past Cerda into the far right corner of the net, finally putting MIT on the board. The goal remained unanswered for the next 30 minutes, with the exception of two shots by the Blue, both of which were saved by Wright. With 13 seconds remaining in the game, Wellesley's Chelsea-Ann Patry cleared the defenders and shot at the left corner of the net, kicking the ball just over Wright's outstretched hands, forcing the game into overtime.

During the first overtime period, Wellesley made three attempts at the goal, but only one needed to be saved. The ten minute period ended with the Engineers taking zero shots. Two minutes into the second overtime period, the ball shot by Fleischmann on a corner kick curled into the right side of the net, ending the game and leaving MIT victorious, 2-1.

MIT will continue conference play on Saturday, Oct. 6 when they host Mount Holyoke at 5:00 p.m. while the Blue will travel to Clark earlier that day.