#22 Women’s Soccer Blanks Clark, 3-0

Senior Ambika Krishnamachar
Senior Ambika Krishnamachar

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Following two goals in the first half and one in the second, #22 MIT women's soccer took a decisive 3-0 win over New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival Clark University on a cloudy, crisp fall Saturday at home. Tech is now 8-2-2 for the season and 4-1 in conference play, while the Cougars fell to 4-8 and 1-3 in league action. MIT now sits atop the NEWMAC standings following Springfield College's loss to Wheaton College earlier today.

Senior Rachel Dias Carlson (Albany, N.Y.) started the game off with her second goal of the season at the 22 minute mark, receiving a cross from junior Michelle Battipaglia (Katonah, N.Y.) well inside the box and shooting to the right of the net, past the fingers of keeper Gabby Paolini. Clark had a chance at a goal a few minutes later when Charlotte Mays fired directly at freshman goalie Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.). but the shot was blocked beautifully by Dias Carlson and the ball rolled out of play.

At 35:39, sophomore Amma Okwara (Charlotte, N.C.) took a shot from the very far corner of the field that hit the post. A minute later, off a corner kick by classmate Zara Perumal (Poway, Calif.), Okwara scored her first goal of the season, kicking the ball into the lower left corner of the cage.

Just four minutes after returning to the field for the second half, junior Ambika Krishnamachar (Darien, Conn.) furthered MIT's lead by notching her fifth goal of the season off a sliding kick into the very left corner from outside the box. She is now tied for first for the Engineers in goals. Many times throughout the game, Krishnamachar was able to dart past the Clark defenders and use her speed to get close to the net, but her shots were often blocked by the Cougars before they could cause too much damage.

Near the end of the game, freshman Victoria Gregory (Syracuse, N.Y.) had a number of impressive blocks right outside of the MIT box, preventing the Cougars from getting too close to the net. Freshman keeper Tamar Weseley (Weston, Conn.), who took over for Ullmann for the second half, had to make two back-to-back saves right at the end of the 45 minute half. The game ended with an MIT victory of 3-0.

MIT outshot Clark, 22-16. Paolini spent the entire 90 minutes in net and saved seven of those shots, while Ullmann and Weseley combined to make 11 saves.

The Engineers will be on the road for their next two games, both of which are conference match-ups. First, they will face Wellesley College at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 15 before playing Smith College at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. Tech will return home that following Tuesday to play in its final non-conference game of the season against Salem State University.