#19 Women's Soccer Ties Wellesley College, 0-0

Sophomore Priyanka Gaur
Sophomore Priyanka Gaur

WELLESLEY, Mass. - MIT women's soccer tied Wellesley College by a score of 0-0 on the road following an aggressive New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) game on Tuesday afternoon. The #19 Engineers had a handful of opportunities to score a goal but each attempt was blocked by either the defense or the goalkeeper. Tech is now 8-2-3 and 4-1-1 in conference play and remains atop the NEWMAC standings, while the Blue is 6-7-2 and 3-1-1 in league action.

MIT gained control of the ball immediately, taking the first shot of the game just a minute into the first half. Keeper Kat Goldsmith was kept extremely busy right from the beginning, having to make seven saves in the first 45 minutes alone, while the one Wellesley shot that was taken went wide of the net. Junior Ambika Krishnamachar (Darien, Conn.) led the attack on the opposing net, taking five of MIT's nine shots. With Goldsmith getting in the way of each goal attempt, the game went to the second period with the score locked at zero.

Replacing freshman goalie Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.) in net for the second half was classmate Tamar Weseley (Weston, Conn.), who saw only a bit more action than Ullmann did in the first 45 minute period. Krishnamachar returned to the field stronger than ever, taking three powerful shots at the net in a 10 minute period, but all were caught by Goldsmith. Sophomore Priyanka Gaur (Austin, Texas) got her foot on the ball a number of times, but, like the majority of the shots that were sent at the Blue's net, they were saved by Goldsmith. Because neither team was able to find the net before time ran out, the game went into the first overtime period.

With a corner kick by junior Elena Gianotas (Trabuco Canyon, Calif.) and a shot by classmate Faith OBrian (Raleigh, N.C.) in the first 10 minute period, the game went to the second overtime period. Upon returning to the field for the final 10 minutes, senior Michaelann Rodriguez (Florence, Ala.) fired the ball at the net but Goldsmith was able to save it. Four minutes later, Krishnamachar took yet another shot at the net which was, once again, blocked by the keeper. The game ended with a tied score of 0-0.

MIT outshot the Blue, 24-3. Goldsmith made an impressive 14 saves compared to Ullmann's zero and Weseley's one save. Krishnamachar took 14 shots throughout the game, eight of which had to be saved.

Tech will be on the road for its next game, facing Smith College in another NEWMAC game on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 12:00 p.m.