- Score: No. 13 Brandeis 1, MIT 0
- Records: MIT (0-1-0); Brandeis (1-0-0)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Gordon Field)
- The Lead: MIT fell in its season opener, 1-0, on the road to Brandeis University, ranked No. 13 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Division III Women's Soccer Preseason Poll, on Thursday evening at Gordon Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a scoreless 26-minutes of action to begin the contest, Brandeis senior Lea McDaniel broke the tie on a one timer after receiving the ball via a cross by sophomore Sam Volpe.
- The Engineers had a number of excellent scoring chances in both halves, especially when MIT outshot Brandeis 6-1 in the second but came up short with senior goalkeeper Alexis Grossman in net for the Judges.
- With time expiring in the game and the Engineers looking for the equalizer, freshman Allie Werner (Tyler, Texas) nearly tied the contest when a free kick from sophomore Selin Selman (New Rochelle, N.Y.) made it through the crowd in the box, but the ball just went off the fingertips of Grossman keeping the Judges in front 1-0.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- MIT senior netminder Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.) made five saves on six shots in a complete game effort for the Engineers.
- Brandeis outshot MIT by a 15-11 margin, but in the second half the Engineers held the Judges to just one shot compared to the visitors' six.
- MIT is back in action on Tuesday, September 6th when the Engineers travel to Worcester State University for an out of league matchup beginning at 7:00 p.m., while Brandeis welcomes Lasell College to its campus for a non-conference contest on Sunday, September 4th at 11:00 a.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Women's Soccer Edged By No. 13 Brandeis, 1-0, In Season Opener
|No. 13/15 Brandeis University (1-0)||1||0||1|