- Score: MIT 2, Vassar College 1
- Records: MIT (3-2), Vassar College (1-4)
- Location: Hoboken, N.J. (De Baun Athletic Complex)
- The Lead: The MIT women's soccer team finished 1-1 overall at the 2016 Engineering Cup after defeating Vassar College, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon at the De Baun Athletic Complex in Hoboken, N.J. Today marked the first ever meeting between both programs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT sophomore Amy Apostol (Los Gatos, Calif.) was awarded a penalty kick just 1:50 into the contest and missed wide, but 48-seconds later, Apostol bounced back to assist junior Olivia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) for the first goal of the game with 2:38 expired on the clock. For Apostol, it was her second assist of the season while Struckman registered her third goal of the year.
- Just as MIT did in the first half, the Engineers potted a goal within the opening minutes of the second stanza. Struckman fed the ball to freshman Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.), who poked the ball into the net while sliding towards the goal line just 2:33 into the half for her third goal of the campaign.
- Vassar cut the deficit in half when sophomore Audrey Pillsbury notched her second marker of the year at the 60:03 mark of the game. Pillsbury gathered the ball and found the net after classmate Sara Seper rocketed the original attempt off the cross bar.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Apostol, Reilly and Struckman all finished with a pair of shots this afternoon for the Engineers. Struckman and Reilly had the pair of goals, while Apostol and Struckman registered the pair of assists in today's game.
- Vassar junior Amanda McFarland led the way for the Brewers with four shots taken on the day, while one of Pillsbury's shots accounted for Vassar's lone goal today.
- Today's contest marked the first time ever in which these two teams have faced off against each other.
- MIT returns to Cambridge on Tuesday, September 13th for a non-conference matchup with Roger Williams University beginning at 4:00 p.m., while Vassar is off until next Saturday, September 17th when the Brewers face off against Oneonta State at noon.