- Score: MIT 1, Wheaton College 0
- Records: MIT (10-3-0, 3-1-0 NEWMAC), Wheaton College (9-3-0, 1-2-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- The Lead: MIT junior Jacqueline Simmons (Houston, Texas) converted on her first collegiate penalty kick in the 32nd minute to give the Engineers a 1-0 road New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) win over Wheaton College on Tuesday afternoon at Mirrione Stadium. Heading into today's contest Wheaton was ranked No. 6 in the latest National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Division III New England Poll.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the 32:25 mark of the game, Simmons lined up from the penalty spot inside the box and drilled her first goal of the season through the hands of Wheaton keeper Leann Wolf, who made a diving attempt, but the ball trickled past her and into the lower right corner of the net.
- Simmons nearly found the back of the net a second time in the 61st minute, but her header off a great corner kick by freshman Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.) ricocheted off the post and back into play. Simmons picked up her own rebound and fired away again, but Wolf was there to stop the ball from going into the net.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wheaton outshot MIT by a slim 14-11 margin, while the Engineers held a 4-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- MIT senior goalkeeper Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.) registered her fifth straight shutout and sixth clean sheet of the season, a new career high. Ullmann also hasn't allowed a goal in nearly 560 straight minutes of play and stopped the ball four times today to improve to 10-3-0 this year. Wolf also made four saves for the Lyons, but her ledger fell to 7-3-0 in 2016.
- Tonight's win marks the 13th all-time for MIT in the series between the two clubs as the Engineers have now won five straight regular season contests against the Lyons dating back to 2012.
- Both teams return to action on Saturday, October 8th with NEWMAC contests beginning at 1:00 p.m. MIT heads to Clark University (7-2-1, 1-1-0 NEWMAC), while Wheaton travels to Springfield College (5-3-1, 1-1-1 NEWMAC).
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Simmons' PK Lifts Women's Soccer To 1-0 NEWMAC Win Over Wheaton
|MIT (10-3, 3-1 NEWMAC)||1||0||1|
|Wheaton College (9-3, 1-2 NEWMAC)||0||0||0|