- Score: MIT 7, Smith College 2
- Records: MIT (13-4-0, 6-1-0 NEWMAC); Smith College (5-7-0, 2-3-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: The MIT women's soccer team used six different goal scorers this afternoon as the Engineers cruised to a 7-2 win over Smith College in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Saturday afternoon at Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium. With the win, senior goalkeeper Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.) became the all-time leader in wins with 50 and over her four years as an Engineers has compiled a mark of 50-17-11 with 21 shutouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT put a four spot on the board over the opening 45-minutes of action today. Just 3:18 into the contest, freshman Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.) got the scoring started when she took a turnover in the box, drove to the center of the net and fired the ball into left side for the early 1-0 advantage and her fifth marker of the year.
- Sophomore Amy Apostol (Los Gatos, Calif.) then planted the second goal of the game at the 22:33 mark on a put back attempt after junior Olivia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) had the initial attempt saved by Smith netminder Camryn Biasin. Then in a span of less than two minutes with time winding down in the stanza, junior Julia Goupil (Los Altos, Calif.) shot the ball from a low angle into the upper left corner of the net for her second score of the year and freshman Chessa Hoekstra (Portland, Maine) registered her first collegiate goal on a great thru ball at midfield via sophomore Shannon Miller (Pittsford, N.Y.).
- MIT and Smith traded scores to open play in the second half. Engineers' freshman Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) notched her team leading seventh goal of the year on an excellent pass by Apostol, but the Pioneers answered with their first goal of the game when freshman Seri Parker scored on a feed by senior Emily Smith at the 64:30 mark.
- Before time expired in the game, Hoesktra tallied her second goal of the day when she drove down the field 80-yards for MIT's sixth, while freshman Claire O'Callaghan (Sherborn, Mass.) potted the Engineers' seventh of the day off a Smith turnover. The Pioneers would get one back when Smith headed home a corner kick from senior Innis Hitt, but the score remained 7-2 as the Engineers earned their sixth NEWMAC win of the season.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Ullmann earned the 50th win of her career with one save on the day before sophomore Lily Mueller (Lakeville, Minn.) came in to make a pair of stops over the second half for MIT. Biasin (3-3-1) made a season-high eight saves this afternoon for the Pioneers.
- MIT outshot Smith by a 23-7 margin and held a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- With seven goals today, MIT scored the most number of goals in a single game since its 8-0 victory over Manhattanville in 2012 and was the most in a NEWMAC contest since 2009 when the Engineers defeated Coast Guard by a 7-1 margin.
- MIT is off until next Saturday, October 22th as the Engineers will continue NEWMAC play at Babson beginning at 11:30 a.m. that day, while Smith hosts WPI on Tuesday, October 18th for a league contest with kickoff slated for 7:00 p.m.