- Score: MIT 3, WPI 1 (NEWMAC Tournament Championship)
- Records: MIT (17-5-1), WPI (16-2-2)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Field)
- The Lead: The second-seeded MIT women's soccer team dropped a 3-1 decision to top-seeded WPI in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) championship match on Sunday afternoon at Alumni Field. WPI earns the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, while MIT will await to see if it will recieve an at-large berth in tomorrow's selection show.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- WPI senior Emma Turton broke the scoreless tie in the 54th minute when she finished a center pass from freshman Kristen McCrea. Just six minutes later, Worcester's Engineers doubled their advantage to 2-0. McCrae sent the ball to junior Sophie Gomarlo, who planted her fifth goal of the season into the bottom corner of the net.
- In the 71st minute, MIT freshman Allie Werner (Tyler, Texas) cut the deficit to one (2-1) when junior Olivia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) crossed the ball towards the center of the box and found sophomore Allie Hrabchak (Princeton, N.J.). Hrabchak then played the ball on one touch to the feet of Werner for her seventh of the season with plenty of time to play.
- With 11:21 to play in the game, Turton had a one-on-one opportunity with MIT keeper Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.) and followed through with her second goal of the game and seventh of the season to seal to conference title for WPI.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ullmann registered a season-high ten saves in net for MIT as her record moved to 17-5-1 on the year, while WPI keeper Gabi Hoops stopped the ball four times in a complete game effort to improve to 16-2-2.
- WPI outshot MIT by a 22-7 margin, including a 16-3 differential in the second stanza, while MIT held an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Today marked the fifth time in program history in which MIT has reached the NEWMAC Championship match.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube..
Women's Soccer Drops 3-1 Decision to WPI in NEWMAC Championship