Score: No. 25 Brandeis University 3, No. 13 MIT 2 (2OT)
Records: No. 13 MIT (0-1-1), No. 25 Brandeis University (1-0-0)
Location: Waltham, Mass. (Gordon Field)
The Lead: A goal by Brandeis sophomore Mackenzie Smith off a corner kick in the 104th minute was the difference today as the No. 25 Judges topped No. 13 MIT in a non-conference women's soccer match in Waltham on Saturday afternoon.
- 12th minute (11:14) - Brandeis 1, MIT 0 - Judges senior Sasha Sunday scored the first goal of the game on a cross by freshman Makenna Hunt.
- 34th minute (33:42) - Brandeis 2, MIT 0 - Brandeis doubled its advantage on a penalty kick by Katie Hayes.
- 41st minute (40:18) - Brandeis 2, MIT - 1 - MIT junior Sophia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) gathered the ball, stepped up and shot the ball from 25 yards out to put the Engineers on the board.
- 58th minute (57:25) - MIT 2, Brandeis 2 - Engineers junior Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) took a feed from classmate Chessa Hoekstra (Portland, Maine) and buried it into the top right corner of the net from 20 yards out to tie the game.
- 104th minute (103:24) - Brandeis 3, MIT 2 - Smith tapped in the game-winning goal off a corner kicks from Sunday to end the game in double overtime.
Inside the Numbers:
- Stats for both teams were nearly identical as Brandeis edged MIT in shots, 14-13, however, both teams each made seven saves. Corner kicks, which proved to be the difference, were dominated by the Judges as the hosts held an 8-2 difference.
- Reilly and Struckman's goals were the first of the season for the juniors, while Hoekstra picked up her first helper of the campaign.
- Sierra Dana (1-0-0) picked up the win with seven saves for Brandeis, while Lily Mueller (Lakeville, Minn.) fell to 0-1-1 with six stops in between the pipes for MIT.
- MIT will continue its brief road trip on Tuesday night when the Engineers visit Worcester State University for a non-conference game at 7:00 p.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.