- Score: No. 23 MIT 3, Wheaton College 0
- Records: No. 23 MIT (5-1-1, 1-0-0 NEWMAC), Wheaton College (5-1-0, 0-1-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked MIT women's soccer team opened its New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) schedule with a 3-0 win at Wheaton College on Saturday afternoon in Norton.
- 13th minute (12:24) – MIT junior Sophia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) registered her team-leading fifth goal of the fall on an unassisted strike. The junior gathered a loose ball and fired it into the bottom right corner for the early lead.
- 52nd minute (51:36) – MIT doubled its advantage when junior Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) took the ball off a throw in by sophomore Maya Nielan (Danville, Calif.), dribbled it down the field and fired a strike past the Wheaton keeper for the 2-0 lead.
- 63rd minute (62:12) – Reilly tallied her second goal of the game after senior Amy Apostol (Los Gatos, Calif.) found her driving down the right side of the field. Reilly took the ball and shot it into the bottom left corner for MIT's third goal of the afternoon and her fifth of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wheaton statistically held advantages in shots, 14-12, and corner kicks, 7-1.
- MIT keeper Lily Mueller (Lakeville, Minn.) improved to 5-1-1 with five saves for the Engineers. Today marked her third straight shutout and fourth overall of the year. Wheaton keeper Alexa Barbagallo stopped the ball four times over 90 minutes for the hosts.
- Struckman and Reilly are now tied for first on the team in goals and Reilly also leads the Engineers in points with 14.
- MIT picked up its 16th win in the all-time series which dates back to 1986 and have beaten the Lyons in every meeting since 2014.
- MIT continues its four game road trip on Tuesday when the Engineers head to Salem State University for a non-conference match beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.