- Score: No. 16 MIT 4, Smith College 2
- Records: No. 16 MIT (7-1-1, 2-0-0 NEWMAC), Smith College (5-4-0, 1-1-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Soccer Field)
- The Lead: With the match knotted at two with less than 13 minutes to play, the No. 16 ranked MIT women's soccer team scored twice in a span of 2:31 to defeat Smith College on the road, 4-2. With the win, the Engineers improve to 2-0 in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play and 7-1-1 overall.
- 13th minute (12:40): MIT 1, Smith 0 – Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.) put MIT ahead early in the match on an unassisted strike.
- 24th minute (23:12): MIT 2, Smith 0 – Junior Sophia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) doubled MIT's lead with her team-best seventh goal of the season. Struckman gathered the ball from senior captain Amy Apostol (Los Gatos, Calif.), who tallied her second helper of the year.
- 33rd minute (32:28) – MIT 2, Smith 1 – Smith got on the board when Reilly Sullivan scored off a pass by Krissy Williams.
- 34th minute (33:49) – MIT 2, Smith 2 – Smith knotted the game at two just 1:21 later when Peyton McBride passed the ball to Zufan Bazzano who finished the attempt to tie the match.
- 79th minute (78:22) – MIT 3, Smith 2 – Freshman Karenna Groff (Weston, Mass.) scored what proved to be the game winning goal when she fired a shot into the upper right corner of the net from the top of the box off a great cross via Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.).
- 81st minute (81:43): MIT 4, Smith 2 – Senior captain Shannon Miller (Pittsford, N.Y.) registered her second goal of the fall to give the Engineers some insurance heading into the final eight minutes of play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT keeper Lily Mueller (Lakeville, Minn.) improved to 7-1-1 as she made five saves in net for the Engineers. Smith keeper Naomi Falkenberg fell to 5-4, but made 12 stops for the Pioneers.
- MIT out shot Smith, 28-12, and held a 13-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- MIT heads to regionally-ranked Tufts University for a non-conference match on Tuesday, September 25 at 4:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.