- Score: No. 14 MIT 1, Clark University 0
- Records: No. 14 MIT (8-2-1, 3-0-0 NEWMAC); Clark University (6-2-1, 2-1-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: A goal by MIT freshman Karenna Groff (Weston, Mass.) in the 64th minute lifted the Engineers past Clark University, 1-0, in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) women's soccer match in Cambridge this evening.
- 64th minute (63:01): MIT 1, Clark 0 – The Engineers broke the scoreless tie when junior Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) drove down the right side of the field and fed a great through ball towards the top of the box where Groff was waiting. In turn Groff planted the ball into the bottom right corner of the net, scoring what proved to be the game-winning goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Groff's goal was her sixth of the season, which ranks her second on the team and third in the conference. Not only did Groff tally her sixth goal, she also notched her third game-winning goal of the year this evening.
- MIT outshot Clark 8-2 in each half leading to a 16-4 total shot advantage. The Engineers also held a 10-5 margin in corner kicks.
- MIT keeper Lily Mueller (Lakeville, Minn.) registered a pair of saves to earn her third complete match shutout of the fall, while Julianna Christy, who played in net for the visitors, moved to 2-1-0 with six saves over 90 minutes.
- MIT heads out on the road for a pair games next weekend. The Engineers will play at Mount Holyoke College for a NEWMAC match on Saturday at 2:00 pm, before playing No. 2 Williams, the defending national champions, the next day at 12:30 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.