- Score: Chapman University 1, No. 20 MIT 0
- Records: No. 20 MIT (1-1-1); Chapman University (3-0-0)
- Location: Orange, Calif. (Wilson Field)
- The Lead: Despite outshooting the Panthers, 19-3, the No. 20 ranked MIT women's soccer team fell to Chapman University by a 1-0 final in a non-conference matchup on Tuesday evening in Southern California.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chapman got on the board just 5:35 into the match as Shannon Coyle finished a cross from the right side of the field via Cate Combi.
- Early in the second half, MIT had a number of good looks at the net as Claire O'Callaghan (Sherborn, Mass.) and Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.) forced Chapman goalkeeper Kelsey Bland to make a pair of saves, while Sophia Struckman (Scottsdale, Ariz.) took a pair of shots that sailed just wide of the frame.
- The Engineers were unable to get the ball into the back of the net for the second straight contest leaving their record in California at 0-1-1 between matches at Pomona-Pitzer and Chapman.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT held a 19-3 advantage in shots and an 8-2 margin in corner kicks in tonight's match, which marked the first-ever meeting between the Engineers and the Panthers.
- Bland picked up the win for Chapman as she made six saves over the first 80 minutes of play, while MIT starter Lauren Castle (Ridgefield, Conn.) took the loss (0-1-0) in her first collegiate start. Haylee Niemann (Las Vegas, Nev.) came on in relief for the Engineers and made one save in the second stanza.
- MIT heads to Bridgewater State University on Saturday, September 7 for a non-conference contest beginning at 4:30 pm.
For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.