- Score: No. 21 MIT 1, Babson College 0
- Records: No. 21 MIT (26-8-1); Babson College (24-14)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Briggs Field)
- The Lead: Second-seeded MIT softball picked up a thrilling 1-0 win over third-seeded Babson College on the first day of the 2019 New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament on Wednesday. With the win, MIT remains in the winner's bracket and will play top-seeded WPI on Friday in Worcester.
Coming into today's game, MIT was ranked No. 21 in the latest NFCA Division III National Coaches Poll and No. 4 in the latest NCAA Division III New England Regional Rankings. Babson entered today's game seventh in the region.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game was scoreless through the first five and a half innings thanks to a pitcher's duel from MIT's Ravenne Nasser (Methuen, Mass.) and Babson's Brooke Stock.
- The Engineers were able to break the scoreless tie in the bottom of the sixth after Michelle Wist (Cypress, Texas) began the frame with a double off the wall in centerfield. Wist was pinch run for by first-year Deborah Torres (Portage, Mich.) and then with two outs, Torres came around to score what proved to be the game winning run on a single through the right side by classmate Anya Chase (Wells, Maine).
- Nasser returned to the circle and retired Babson in order to secure the 1-0 win for MIT to push the Engineers ahead in the winner's bracket.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nasser improved to 15-5 this spring for the Engineers and picked up her seventh complete game shutout of the season as she scattered four hits, walked three and struck out six. Stock took the loss (11-8) as she allowed one earned run, three hits, three walks and struck out three over six innings for Babson.
- Wist went 2-for-2 with a walk, while Chase went 1-for-3 with the game-winning RBI.
- Today's matchup with Babson marked the fifth time MIT has faced the Beavers in the NEWMAC Tournament. With the win, the Engineers improved to 4-1 in those five contests.
- Second-seeded MIT will travel to Worcester to take on top-seeded WPI on Friday, May 3 at 4:00 pm in the winner's bracket. Babson will also travel to WPI's Rooftop Field and take on Springfield College in an elimination game the same day at noon.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.