- Score: MIT 1, Husson University 0 (10 Innings)
- Records: MIT (28-10-1); Husson University (24-10)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Briggs Field)
- The Lead: Sophomore Phoebe Li (Morganville, N.J.) blasted a solo home run over the fence in left field in the bottom of the tenth inning to give MIT softball a 1-0 win over Husson University on the opening day of the 2019 NCAA Division III Softball Championship Tournament in Cambridge.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT starter Ravenne Nasser (Methuen, Mass.) no-hit Husson through seven innings before Tamara Auchman lined a single to right field in the top of the eighth. The visiting Eagles loaded the bases in that inning with their best chance to take an edge, but Nasser got Chloe Gorey to pop out to end the threat.
- Husson starter Jen Jones answered Nasser inning for inning as both pitchers had shutouts through the first nine innings. Jones struck out ten batters and allowed just two hits prior to Li's home run.
- With two outs in the bottom of the tenth, Li belted her second home run of the season and first career walk off homer over the fence in left field to secure the win for the Engineers in their 2019 NCAA Tournament debut.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nasser (17-6) earned the win as she allowed just two hits, one walk and struck out six over ten innings in the circle for MIT. Jones (13-6) took the loss on 9.2 innings, three hits, one run, four walks and ten strikeouts.
- Today's matchup marked the first-ever meeting between MIT and Husson.
- With the win, MIT has advanced into the winner's bracket and will play No. 23 Rowan University tomorrow morning at 11:00 am. Husson will play in an elimination game tomorrow against Eastern Nazarene College at 1:30 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.