- Event: 2019 NEWMAC Championship
- Results: 2nd of 10 (62 points) - After Day One
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI Sports & Recreation Center)
- The Lead: In the lone event contested on the women's side on the opening night of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship, the 'A' 800 free relay squad posted a third place finish and the 'B' 800 free relay team won their heat as the MIT women's swimming and diving team sits in second place in the team standings with 62 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the 'A' final, sophomores Hannah Mahaffey (Lawrenceville, Ga.) and Ashley Pearson (Stafford, Va.) as well as first-years Shannon Hagmaier (Longwood, Fla.) and Laura Rosado (New Haven, Conn.) finished third with a time of 7:40.30.
- The 'B' final saw senior Addie Chambers (Seattle, Wash.) and first-years Jessica Cohen (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.), Jasmin Bouzarouata (Astoria, N.Y.) and Emily Yuan (Newbury Park, Calif.) finish first in their heat with a time of 7:48.61.
- The Engineers return to the pool tomorrow morning for the second day of the 2019 NEWMAC. Prelims begin at 10:00 a.m. and finals will start at 6:00 p.m. Events scheduled for tomorrow include the 200-free relay, 500-free, 200-IM, 50-free, 1-meter dive and the 400-medley relay.