- Scores: No. 17 MIT 9, Wheaton 0; No. 17 MIT 8, Smith 1
- Records: MIT (8-0, 8-0 NEWMAC); Wheaton (3-3, 3-3 NEWMAC); Smith (1-6, 0-6 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass.
- The Lead: Picking up wins over Wheaton and Smith on Saturday at home, the No. 17 ranked MIT women's tennis team captured the 2016 NEWMAC regular-season championship as the Engineers finished the regular-season with a perfect 8-0 record. This is the fifth straight and eighth time overall that the Engineers have posted an undefeated regular-season record.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the match vs. Wheaton, the Engineers jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the doubles play as the team of junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) and freshman Serena Le (Aiea, Hawaii) picked up an 8-0 win in the No. 3 spot. In singles action, MIT took all six matches in straight sets, including a win at No. 1 singles by junior captain Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) over Ines de Bracamonte by a 6-2, 6-0 final.
- MIT capped off the perfect regular season as the Engineers won two doubles matches by 8-0 finals at No. 1 and No. 3. Included in those wins was a shutout at the top spot from Tzeng and freshman Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.).
- The Engineers clinched the match in singles play, including three wins by straight sets and a default victory for Smith at the No. 3 spot for their lone point.
- MIT is back in action at the NEWITT Tournament on October 14-16 as the three-day tournament is being held at Mount Holyoke.