- No. 5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 6, No. 20 MIT 3
- Records: MIT (11-3), Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (13-1)
- Location: Claremont, Calif. (Bisrantz Family Tennis Center)
- The Lead: In a hard-fought match that lasted four and a half hours, the No. 20 MIT women's tennis team fell to No. 5 ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps by a 6-3 final on Wednesday night at the Bisrantz Family Tennis Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Athenas took the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches by a final of 8-4, but the No. 1 spot was a battle that went extra points. In the end, MIT's Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) and Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) dropped a back-and-forth 9-7 final to CMS's Madison Shea and Lindsay Brown.
- In singles play, the Engineers earned points and the No. 1, 3 and 4 positions. At No. 1 Tzeng defeated Kyla Scott, the No. 23 ranked player in the country, by a final of 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 pro set (10-6). Junior Sonya Das (Arden Hills, Minn.) was victorious in straight sets at No. 3, defeated No. 45 ranked Katie Kuosman 6-2, 7-6 (7-3). The final point came from freshman Serena Le (Aiea, Hawaii), who outlasted Bria Smith 1-6, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 pro set (16-14) as the Engineers took on their third straight nationally-ranked team on their spring break trip.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, April 8th as the Engineers travel to No. 8 Wesleyan University for a match beginning at 1 p.m.