- No. 7 Tufts 7, No. 21 MIT 2
- Records: MIT (11-5), Tufts (9-2)
- Location: Medford, Mass. (Voute Courts)
- The Lead: On Tuesday afternoon, the No. 21 ranked MIT women's tennis team fell to No. 7 Tufts University by a 7-2 final in non-conference action. This marks the sixth straight nationally-ranked opponent of the spring season and fourth straight top-10 matchup.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took a 2-1 lead in doubles action as the Engineers picked up points at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. At No. 1, sophomore Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) and junior Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) earned an 8-6 win over Lauren Louks and Mina Karamercan. In No. 3 action, freshman Effie Jia (San Ramon, Calif.) and junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) came away with a 9-7 victory over the Tufts duo of Conner Calabro and Tomo Iwasaki.
- In singles, Calabro defeated freshman Sharlene Song (Arcadia, Calif.) 6-0, 7-6 as they played the second set tiebreaker, along with a three-set final as Zhu fell to Louks by a score of 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 in No. 2 action.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, April 15th as the Engineers host No. 1 ranked Emory at 10 a.m. and No. 39 Vassar at 3 p.m.