- Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith College)
- The Lead: Over the weekend, the No. 9 ranked MIT women's tennis team wrapped up its fall season as the Engineers had four entries in the A Draw at the 2018 NEWITT Tournament.
A LOOK AT THE RESULTS:
- The pairing of junior Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) and freshman Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) defeated Carolina Merz and Marissa Madison of Babson in the first round by a 2-1 margin. MIT took the doubles match in an 8-7 final, while Teng earned a straight-set win over Madison. The duo lost to top-seeded Jackie Bukzin and Claire Evans from Amherst in the second round by a 2-1 final that included a straight-set win for Teng over Evans.
- Sophomores Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) and Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) advanced to the second round after a 2-1 win over Ayame Yazawa and Ching-Ching Huang of Mt. Holyoke. After an 8-0 shutout in doubles, the Engineers claimed the victory with Guenther's straight-set singles win. The MIT duo lost 2-1 to Maggie Owensby and Camilla Trapness of Amherst in the second round as the Engineers took the doubles match by an 8-3 final.
- Freshman Amber Shen (Broomfield, Colo.) and sophomore Vanessa Kitova (Beverly, Mass.) fell 2-1 to May Zhu and Catie Burkhart of Amherst in the first round as the Engineers won the doubles match by an 8-1 margin. In the consolation bracket, the pair earned a 3-0 win over Ines de Bracamonte and Connor O'Keefe of Wheaton before dropping a 3-0 final to Colby in the next round.
- Sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and freshman Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) defeated Carly Levitz and Olivia Scordo of Colby College in the first round by a 2-1 final. After an 8-3 doubles win, Tabunshchyk won her singles match in straight sets to clinch the victory.
- The Engineers have now concluded their fall season and will open play in spring on Saturday, February 16th as the Engineers host Vassar College for a 1:30 p.m. start.