- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble)
- Score: No. 9 MIT 9, No. 29 Vassar 0
- Records: No. 9 MIT (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC); No. 29 Vassar (2-2, 2-0 Liberty League)
- The Lead: After jumping out to a convincing 3-0 lead after doubles play on Saturday in the spring opener, the No. 9 ranked MIT women's tennis team picked up a 9-0 shutout victory over No. 29 Vassar College to move to 1-0 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The doubles team of sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and junior captain Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) earned the 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles as the Engineers swept the Brewers in those matches.
- In singles play, all six MIT players won in straight sets as Rickeman's 6-2, 6-1 win over Frances Cornwall in the No. 1 spot proved to be the clinching point. The Engineers earned 6-0, 6-1 victories at both the No. 5 and No. 6 singles positions, with freshman Amber Shen (Broomfield, Colo.) and sophomore Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) picking up the wins.
- MIT is back in action on March 1-3 as the Engineers travel to Nashville, Tenn. for the 2019 ITA Division III National Women's Team Indoor Championship. The team opens the tournament vs. No. 10 University of Chicago on March 1st.